Brandon resident bit by rabid bat

By: 
Staff report
A Brandon resident was reportedly bitten by a bat in the area of South Main Avenue last week. The bat, which was turned over to the Sioux Falls Humane Society, has tested positive for rabies.
The resident’s pet was also bitten by the bat and had to be put down, authorities said Monday. 
“We don’t view it as a widespread problem,” said Brandon Police Chief Joe Weir. “We wanted to put information out there more as a precaution.”
Brandon police warn residents about the dangers of bats, which have very small teeth and may leave marks that disappear or are difficult to find. Residents who see a bat in their home are advised not to approach or capture it. If possible, police advise the public to safely confine the bat to a room by shutting the door.
They also advise the public to contact the Brandon Police Department at (605) 582-7000 if they have a bat confined in their home or see a dead or injured bat.

Category:

The Brandon Valley Journal

 

The Brandon Valley Journal
1404 E. Cedar St.
Brandon, SD 57005
(605) 582-9999

Email Us

Facebook

Please Login for Premium Content